Lake Powell Makes List Of World's Most Beautiful Lakes
|Lake Powell - Photo by Dave Webb|
We do need to clear up one little issue. The article puts Powell in Arizona. It is true that Glen Canyon Dam is in Arizona, but the vast majority of the lake is in Utah.
Huffingtonpost.com is considered a left-leaning, pro-environmentalist publication and many environmentalists are in favor of draining Lake Powell. It's fun to see the website say the lake is well worth visiting. Regardless of your environmental views, everyone agrees the lake is incredibly beautiful.
Here's an excerpt from the article:
Lined with beaches and popular with houseboat owners and sport fisherman, it photographs like a dream—a sublime mélange of swirling red-rock canyons and vivid sapphire-hued water. To enjoy the area take a boat tour to impressive Rainbow Bridge National Monument.
Here's their list:
- Lake Como, Lombardy, Italy
- Maligne Lake, Alberta, Canada
- Lake Pichola, Udaipur, India
- West Lake, Hangzhou, China
- Dove Lake, Tasmania
- Lake Lucerne, Switzerland
- Lake Powell, Arizona
- Lake Titicaca, Bolivia & Peru
- Derwentwater, Keswick, England
- Lake Tahoe, California & Nevada
- Pehoe Lake, Patagonia, Chile
- Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
- Lake Superior, Michigan
- Lake Wakatipu, New Zealand
- Crater Lake, South Central Oregon
- Loch Duich, Scotland
- Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
- Lakes of Killarney, Ireland
- Lake Kawaguchi, Japan
- Lake Bratan, Bali
On a personal note, I've swam in Powell, Tahoe and Atitlan. I've flown over Superior but I've never touched the water there. They are all beautiful but it's Powell I return to again and again.
- Dave Webb